Thursday, 15 December 2016

Star Jaws

star-wars-ff-mash-up

I recently drew this for Robin Barnard's very entertaining tribute to Marvel UK's Star Wars Weekly comic from the 1970s, Star Jaws. I don't consider myself a Star Wars fan but I loved Star Wars Weekly, especially Carmine Infantino and Terry Austin's artwork on the lead story. My opinion is that the original movies owe a lot to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's long run on Fantastic Four from the 1960s, so I tried to pay tribute by redrawing the cover to issue 86 but with Star Wars characters instead. Infantino and Austin drew their strips at a time when there was only one Star Wars film to refer to and home-video recorders were rare. I really enjoyed pastiching how I imagine they would have worked in the late seventies, drawing the characters slightly wrong. 


contact

No comments: